About the Galleries at MTSU:
The Todd Art Gallery and it's subsidiary student 210 and Glass Galleries exhibit works of art from emerging and prominent artists in conjunction with studies offered through Middle Tennessee State University's Department of Art and Design. All exhibits are free and open to the public. Exhibits are offered year-round and include open calls and competitions at no expense to students from kindergarten through college undergraduates. In addition, the Gallery supports collaborations with the Rutherford County Property Assessor's Murfree Gallery and with community artists, organizers, and supporters.
Currently, a national competition/exhibition is regularly scheduled. Entitled, Form | Line | Shape | Space: A Juried National Drawing Exhibition emphasizes the continued relevance of drawing and its application to other disciplines. This biennial exhibit will return in spring 2022.
Often exhibit/competition and invited artists to participate in receptions, lectures, and studio visits with students and the public, composing but a small part of the many educational opportunities the MTSU Department of Art and Design offers the campus and middle Tennessee communities.
Deadline for all Scholarship Materials:
February 1st, 2024
New Transfer Students and Incoming Freshman declaring one of the following Majors in the Department of Art and Design. Please use the links below to explore each of the following concentrations. These awards are provided by funding from the John and Elva Griffin and Lon Nuell memorial scholarships.
MTSU Art and Design Majors
Please note that incomplete applications will not be reviewed. If you have any questions about the application process or would like to receive information on our degree programs, please visit our department website at http://mtsu.edu/art/ or call the department at 615-898-2455. We look forward to reviewing your application!
2024 Outstanding Foundations Student Awards
The Outstanding Foundations Student Awards are given to one art major, and one art minor enrolled in Foundations-level courses in the Department of Art and Design. Each award is $500. Questions? Email the Foundations Coordinator, Erin.Anfinson@mtsu.edu
In order to be eligible for consideration students must have completed the following requirements:
- Completion of min. 2 Foundations courses at MTSU with a minimum grade of B OR Completion of min. 3 Foundations courses, one of which must have been taken at MTSU, with a minimum grade of B
- Student must be currently enrolled in Foundations level course (ART 1610, ART 1620, ART 1630, ART 1640, or ART 1650)
- Art and Design majors and minors are eligible to apply for these awards. One award will be given to an Art major (BFA Studio, BFA Graphic Design, BA/BS Visual Arts, BS Art Education, BA/BS Art History) and the other will be given to an Art minor.
Application Materials and Instructions:
- Application form Please fill out the application form on Submittable.
- Digital portfolio of 10-15 works from your foundations courses (ART 1610, ART 1620, ART 1630, ART 1640, or ART 1650). You will be prompted to upload images of your work on the Submittable application form. Need help photographing your art for the portfolio review? Watch the video below by Foundations professor, Mark McLeod!
- Foundations faculty recommendation form. Contact one of your previous MTSU Foundations faculty members to serve as a recommender for your application. You will provide their MTSU email address on the application form.
Need help taking photos of your art? Watch this video!
Call for Solo and Small Group (2-4 Artists) Exhibition Proposals:
Artists interested in exhibiting in the Todd Art Gallery on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University, MTSU, should complete the remainder of this application, including a current CV, artist statement, description of the proposed exhibition, and ten images (jpegs) of recent work. All Group Proposals of two to four artists should provide 12 images. Currently, groups of five or more artists are not being accepted.
Before completing this application, you will be prompted to create an account before proceeding.
Jpeg format should not exceed 1 MB per image or appropriate media for time-based work).
Todd Art Gallery
MTSU Department of Art and Design
Eric V. Snyder, Gallery Coordinator
Box 25, 1301 E Main Street
Murfreesboro TN 37132-0025
1512 Military Memorial
Murfreesboro TN 37132-0025
All Exhibition proposals become the property of the MTSU Department of Art and Design and may be used for promotion purposes.
To ensure consideration, please submit only the requested materials. Artist proposals are reviewed at the start of each fall and spring semester. Artists will be contacted when additional information is needed or to discuss possible exhibit scheduling.
If invited to exhibit, the artist/group acknowledges their willingness to comply with agreed TBD scheduling, contractual obligations, and all other items or actions necessary to ensure a successful exhibition.
Your submission is your acceptance of the above guidelines.
For questions, call 615-898-5532 or 615-904-8315 or text 615-542-6368.